Pages

23.10.13

Team Van Schoick - Athens Half-Marathon - October 20th


Friedreich’s ataxia has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember. My two older sisters have FA, and my family has long been fundraising for research and awareness of the disease.  After years of hosting large fundraising events, my family took a break just as Team FARA was organized. It was a great opportunity for me and my now husband, Kyle, to start running races for FARA. The simplicity of the sign-up process makes it trouble-free for members to join your team, and by distributing the team website link, donations from family, friends, and colleagues are quick and easy to complete online.


The AthHalf in Athens, Georgia on October 20th was our third race as part of Team FARA. With four other team members, we raised over $7,000, our highest amount yet. My family hopes to make the AthHalf for Team FARA an annual event. On Saturday, we enjoyed an afternoon of football followed by a pasta dinner. Then after the race on Sunday we all met at the finish line and stuffed ourselves with a huge brunch afterwards. In addition to raising money, food is also a good incentive to run!



I didn’t grow up a runner, but my husband did and encouraged me to start running races with him years ago. Now having the opportunity to run a race for my sisters with close friends and Kyle by my side just makes it a perfect scenario. As if that isn’t enough, our team FARA shirts sealed the deal. I ran with a sense of pride and smiled as runners asked along the course asked, “What is FA?”. Thankfully Kyle handled the answers since running 13 miles and multitasking don’t mix for me.  :)

               



















By: Katie Kilch

No comments: